So when I found them hanging around from the warehouse roof of an antique store the two of them looked a lot like this but covered in dust bunnies and funk.  After a good bath, they looked like this (and yes, they picked up some dust hanging around my house waiting for me): Kitchen Chandalier - Before - Bottom Up Kitchen Chandalier - Before - Top Down So I went to work with the paint stripper. I have to take a detour here to talk about Kleen Strip.  It works - amazingly well.  It smells like the inside of a nail polish bottle and it will make your skin burn.  I'd compare getting Kleen Strip on you to getting hit with a branding iron.  It hurts - a lot.  A spot no bigger around than pencil eraser on my pinky had me running for the kitchen faucet like I was on fire.    I did find that washing the area really well and slapping some yogurt on it seems to kill the burn pretty quickly.  Three rounds of stripper and a methodical attack with the dremel tool left me with what you see below. If you look closely at the photos, you can still some of the original red, blue, and green paint.  I only got flecks of it when I was stripping but the "arms" of the chandelier were bright purple. I found a color swatch on line that it is about the right color and included it for reference.  These things were truly Victorian painted ladies. Amazingly enough, DHB looked them up on line and found out they are cast aluminum. Kitchen Chandalier - Traces of Original Paint 6 Kitchen Chandalier - Traces of Original Paint 5 Kitchen Chandalier - Traces of Original Paint 4 Kitchen Chandalier - Traces of Original Paint 3 Kitchen Chandalier - Traces of Original Paint 2 Kitchen Chandalier - Traces of Original Paint 1 2014-06-01-16.25.26 Royal Purple